More student information on becoming a speech-language pathologist is available from  the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.  (

GPA requirements

  • Bachelor of Science program is 3.0 minimum.
  • Master of Science program is a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0., AND for last 96 quarter credits or 64 semester credits (your last 2 undergraduate years), minimum GPA of 3.3.
  • Master of Science Transitional program is 3.3 minimum.  A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, AND for last 96 quarter credits or 64 semester credits (your last 2 undergraduate years), minimum GPA of 3.3.

What do speech-language pathologists (SLPs) do and where do they work?

SLPs work with people of all ages, ranging from infants to the elderly.  They help develop or restore communication for individuals who have impairments in fluency, articulation, language, voice, hearing, cognitive-linguistic language, and social language.  They also work with individuals who have swallowing problems, and people who desire to modify their accent.  Work settings include: public schools, hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, and private practice.

What education do I need for a career in speech-language pathology?

Students complete an undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology or communication sciences and disorders prior to enrolling in a master's degree program.  Students with a bachelor's degree in a field other than Communication Sciences and Disorders must complete approximately one year of prerequisite courses in order to be eligible for gradate work.  A master's degree is required for practice in most states and for the national Certificate  of Clinical Competence.   (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association)

What degree programs are offered at Loma Linda University (LLU)?

Loma Linda University offers a Bachelor's degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. Students complete two years of general studies at an accredited college or university prior to transferring to LLU.

LLU also offers the Master's degree in communication sciences and disorders. This is a two-year program. 

For students who have a bachelor's degree in another discipline, LLU offers the Transitional Master's program, which provides the necessary prerequisite coursework for entry into the Master's program.   

What type of people become Speech-Language Pathologists?

Some of the characteristics frequently seen in individuals who choose this profession include: helping/compassionate personalities, good academic abilities, and positive interpersonal skills. This profession requires patience, flexibility, and a love of people.

If I don't get accepted into a Master's program, what can I do with my Bachelor's degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders?

Many states license or register Speech-Language Pathology Assistants (SLPA).  SLPAs may have an AA degree or the bachelor's degree, and work under the supervision of a Speech-Language Pathologist. SLPAs usually work in public school settings, but some work in medical settings.

If I have a complaint about compliance with accreditation standards, whom do I contact?

The Council of Academic Accreditation, 2200 Research Blvd, Rockville, MD 20850, (301) 897-5700(301) 897-5700;  (800) 498-2071(800) 498-2071, (301) 571-0481(301) 571-0481 TTY.

Do I have to take the GRE Exam?

The Masters and Transitional Masters programs do not require proof of GRE.