How do I apply to a program in the Radiation Technology department?

  • Refer to our website and your program of choice for initial information and introduction.
  • Contact us for program advising or if you have questions after you have visited our department website.
  • Complete the online application, verifying that all questions are answered, and the application fee is included during official enrollment periods.
  • Follow our allied health admission procedures outlined by your program of choice.  There is only one application to both the program and University.
  • Arrange to have original transcripts from your high school and all colleges attended sent directly to:
    Admissions Processing
    11139 Anderson St
    Loma Linda University  
    Loma Linda, CA 92350  
  • Please note:  Transcripts sent from you personally (even if sealed) or hand delivered are not considered "official" transcripts.  They must be sent from your previous colleges.
  • Complete the observation requirements outlined by your program of choice.
  • Complete prerequisites by the end of the summer of the year you plan to enter the program.

Will I be prepared to take the board exams that go with each program?

Upon successful completion of a program in the Department of Radiation Technology, our graduates can sit for that respective national board exams or certification exams. Classes are taught within the program that prepare students for board exams.

Are the LLU Radiation Technology programs accredited?

Yes. All of the programs in the Department of Radiation Technology at Loma Linda University are accredited by WASC (Western Associate of Schools and Colleges). Many of the programs are accredited by JRCERT ( The RA program has recognition from the ARRT (

What is LLU looking for in a student who applies?

  • An individual knowledgeable about the field, either from reading or observing, who knows why she/he wants to enter the profession.
  • An enthusiastic, motivated individual who desires to maintain high standards for didactic and clinical performance.
  • Strong references from the applicant's prior work supervisors, instructors, or health care professionals knowledgeable about the applicant.
  • A person whose transcripts reflect academic excellence in science classes, as well as related courses.
  • A person who is motivated to take initiative, be a leader, and maintain high standards.
  • A person who is motivated and challenged by the University's motto: "To Make Man Whole".

What physical and mental abilities must I possess?

Entrance and completion of this program signifies that the candidate is prepared to practice in the profession. The candidate must be prepared to work in the standing position, do frequent walking, lift and transfer patients, communicate effectively, and perform with both hands. For more information on this, please consult the Program Handbook.

What academic record must I have to enter and stay in the program?

  • Bachelor's programs - students must have a 3.0 average GPA, as well as maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA while in the bachelor's program.
  • The AS in Medical Radiography program requires a 2.5 GPA minimum in the program prerequisites; however, it is highly recommended that applicants have a 3.0 GPA. In the radiography program, students must maintain a minimum of 2.5 GPA in each quarter.

Is there a waiting list to get into your programs?

Currently, we do not have a waiting list for our programs; however, our programs are competitive. We often receive two to three times the number of applicants over the number of open seats in each program.

What is the deadline for application?

Please refer to each specific program for the program's application window. Each of the programs have a different application window. The application window varies from program to program.

When do the programs start?

Most of the programs begin at the end of September, which is the Fall Quarter of each year. The B.S. in Radiation Sciences and the B.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography begins in June.

When do the programs finish?

Each program has an individual end date depending on the length of the program. For the AS in Medical Radiography, the 21-month program ends in June and culminates with Commencement Ceremonies the second week of June.

What is the job outlook for radiology professionals?

Like many healthcare positions, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, x-ray, CT, MRI, and sonography technology jobs are expected to grow much faster than other professions. National trends tell us that there could be up to a 35% increase in many radiology positions. Career advancement opportunities exist in education, administration, research, and in commercial companies as education/application specialists, sales representatives, technical advisors, etc.

What must I do if I have studied outside of the United States?

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an approved evaluation center. Detailed information can be found on the main SAHP Admissions page for International Students.

Are financial aid or student loans available?

Financial aid is available to students depending on credit history. Contact the financial aid department for more information and deadlines. FASFA is available in October. Please note: FASFA applications are due on or around March 1st of each year. Students are encouraged to secure educational funding as part of their application process.

Do you offer weekend or night classes?

No, we do not. Our programs are a full-time, day programs from Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You will also be assigned homework to complete. Some programs require some afternoon clinical shifts, but that varies from program to program. In addition, we have four online programs that offer more flexibility..

Do you offer online courses?

We have some online programs, and those are noted on each program page. Some classes within programs offer a blended learning environment with some online components.

Can I work full-time or part-time while taking radiology coursework?

Most of our programs are comprehensive and intense professional programs. We do not recommend that you attempt to work full-time during these programs. It is possible to work weekends but on a flexible, part-time basis. Living expenses can be built into financial aid assistance as an option for meeting your living expenses.

Who do I contact to set up my career observation at LLUMC?

Contact us for further information at

Where do I get the career observation forms?

Use the career observation forms that are available from for each program.

If I live out of the area, can I do my career observation time at another facility?

Yes! Contact the department for further information at

Am I required to provide transportation to school and to clinical sites?

Yes. Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from school and clinical sites. Some sites are located as much as an hour away from the Loma Linda campus. Every student coming to our programs must be willing to drive up to 60 miles in one direction, and always have working transportation  to arrive at their clinical site on time.