In harmony with the mission of Loma Linda University and the School of Allied Health Professions, the Health Informatics, Information Management, and Administration department is dedicated to:
- Educating competent medical coding professionals
- Promoting the medical coding profession
- Extending the current knowledge of medical coding professionals at neighboring health care facilities
- Challenging students and department faculty to maintain high standards of ethical and professional behavior
- Encouraging students and faculty to seek a meaningful relationship with God and a balanced Christian lifestyle
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Assess health record documentation to verify that it is accurate, timely, and complete and that it supports the diagnosis and other clinical findings.
- Determine the appropriate medical codes for healthcare encounters with accuracy and consistency according to official guidelines.
- Adhere to the format, organization, and mechanical conventions of the ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT, E&M, and HCPCS coding systems.
- Facilitate health data collection and processing through coding, indexing, and maintaining disease and operation statistics.
- Assess compliance with regulatory requirements and reimbursement methodologies.
- Perform diagnostic-related group and ambulatory patient-classification assignments using decision trees and computerized patient-data groupers.
- Develop appropriate physician queries to resolve discrepancies in clinical documentation and coding.