Karen J. Mainess, PhD CCC-SLP
Program Director - Master's Program
Dr. Mainess is a full-time Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. She joined the faculty in 2001 and has served in many capacities throughout the years including speech-language pathology assistant program director (coordinating programs on both the LLU and Crafton Hills College campuses), undergraduate program director, and is currently the graduate program director for the Master of Science degree program. Her clinical background includes early childhood and school-based practice with specialization in developmental disorders and autism.
Dr. Mainess has taught several of the undergraduate courses over the years including Communication Across the Lifespan, Child Language Disorders, Diagnostics, Bilingualism-Biculturalism, ESL & Accent Modification, and Language Science. She currently teaches the graduate research sequence for the MS degree and coordinates the Graduate Portfolio courses. She also provides clinical supervision to the graduate students rotating through Nonpublic School Clinic, and Behavioral Health Institute. Additionally, she teaches coursework for the Speech-Language Pathology Doctorate program and mentors PhD students.
- BS Degree Speech Pathology and Audiology, Loma Linda University, CA
- MS Degree Speech-Language Pathology, Loma Linda University, CA
- PhD Speech-Language Pathology, Teachers College, Columbia University, NY
- 1985 – Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- 1985 & 2000 – Professional license in Speech-Language Pathology, State of California
- Lavi, A. & Mainess, K. (2018). A New Perspective on Assessment of Pragmatics: Six New Pragmatic Constructs. Presentation during the California Speech-Language Hearing Association (CSHA) Annual Conference. Sacramento, CA. March 23, 2018.
- Mainess, K. & Campos, I. (2018). Personal Narrative Performances of School Age Spanish-English Dual Language Learners Grades K-6. Poster Session during the California Speech-Language Hearing Association (CSHA) Annual Conference. Sacramento, CA. March 23, 2018.
- Mainess, K., Campos, I., Medrano, L., & Uribe, A. (2017). A Comparison of Personal Narrative Performances in School Age Spanish-English Dual Language Learners. Poster Session during the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Conference. Los Angeles, CA. November 9, 2017.
- Mainess, K. (2017). Fostering Consciously Competent SLP Supervisees. Presentation during the Fourth Annual Supervision Symposium, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA. July 6, 2017.
- Mainess, K., & Banks, A. (2017). Executive Functioning Impairments Associated with ADHD. Presentation during the A to Z’s of ADHD, Youth Partial Hospital Program, Loma Linda University Behavioral Health Center, Loma Linda, CA. April 27, 2017
- Mainess, K., & Campos, I. (2017). Characteristics of Personal Narratives of Preschool Age Spanish-English Dual Language Learners. Poster Session during the California Speech-Language and Hearing Association (CSHA) Conference. Pasadena, CA. March 16, 2017.
- Mainess, K., Campos, I., & Vijanderan, L. (2016). A Comparison of Personal Narrative Performances in Preschool Age Spanish-English Dual Language Learners. Poster Session during the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA. November 18, 2016.
- Mainess, K., St. Clair, J., & Woolpert, D. (2016). Learner-Focused Instruction: Facilitating Problem-Based Learning in a Graduate Program. Presentation during the Council on Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders Annual Conference. San Antonio, TX. April 1, 2016.
- Mainess, K. (2016). Fostering Critical Thinking in Your Clinical Supervisee. Presentation during the Supervision Symposium on July 7, 2016.
- Sadek, A., Mainess, K.J., & Daher, N. (2018). A pilot study: Parent’s perceptions of behavior change in their child with autism spectrum disorder following high antioxidant cacao consumption. Integrative Medicine, 17(5), 31-38.
- Fox, M.B., & Mainess, K.J. (2018). Mobile device usage and joint engagement in typical and language disordered preschoolers. Journal of Child Language Acquisition and Development (JCLAD), 6(3), 89-108.
- Sadek, A., Berk, L.S., Mainess, K., & Daher, N.S. (Summer, 2018). Antioxidants and autism: Teachers’ perceptions of behavioral changes. Advances in Mind-body Medicine. 32(3), 12-17.
- Lavi, A., Mainess, K.J., & Daher, N. (2016). Clinical assessment of pragmatics (CAPs): A validation study of a video-based test of pragmatic language in adolescent students. Autism Open Access 6(2) 172. DOI:10.4172/2165-7890.1000172
- Sandiford, G.A., Mainess, K. J., & Daher, N.S. (2013). Improving Pragmatics in Nonverbal Children with Autism Using Melodic Based Communication Therapy. Autism, 3: 116. DOI:10.4172/2165- 7890.1000116
- Sandiford, G.A., Mainess, K. J., & Daher, N. S. (2012). A pilot study on the efficacy of melodic-based communication therapy for eliciting speech in nonverbal children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, DOI 10.1007/s10803-012-1672-z
- Champion, T. & Mainess, K. (2003). African American Children. In A. McCabe & L. Bliss (Eds.), Patterns of Narrative Discourse; A Multicultural, Life Span Approach. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Mainess, K., Champion, T., & McCabe, A (2002). Telling the unknown story. Linguistics and Education, 13(2), 151-173.