Laura L. Alipoon, Ed.D, RT(R)
Dr. Alipoon is a Full Professor in the Department of Radiation Technology. She has been a part of the faculty since 1991 serving in varying roles including Clinical Coordinator, Program Director, and now Chair. In addition to starting the first Radiologist Assistant Program in the nation, she started a medical radiography program in Saudi Arabia. Emotional intelligence, instructional design, and adult learning theories are topics she enjoys teaching.
Dr. Alipoon is an Assessment Specialist for the School of Allied Health Professions (since 2009), and has been the Co-Chair for the University Assessment Committee since December of 2008. Dr. Alipoon served as the Associate Director for the Office of Educational Effectiveness 2017-2019.
Dr. Alipoon’s interests in emotional intelligence and leadership led her to become a board certified coach and her coaching focus is on leadership development, fostering emotional intelligence and nurturing wellbeing.
- Ed.D., Administration and Leadership, La Sierra University, Riverside, California, June 2001
- Ed.S., Administration and Leadership, La Sierra University, Riverside, California, December 1999
- M.A., Counselor Education, California State University, San Bernardino, California, March 1988
- B.S., Behavioral Sciences, Loma Linda University, La Sierra Campus,Riverside, California, June 1981
- A.S., Medical Radiography, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California, June 1981
- Nov 2018, Life Styles Inventory & Leadership Work Styles, Accredited, Human Synergistics
- May 2017 Board Certified Coach (BCC)
- Aug 2015, Certified Professional Coach, College of Executive Coaching
- June 2014, Emotional and Social Competence Inventory Coach, Certified, Hay Group
- Research that transforms experiential learning theory into practice utilizing emotional intelligence assessment tools and coaching sessions to enhance emotional intelligence competencies among undergraduate college students. The initial pilot studies began in 2014, and data collection and synthesis remain in progress.
- Dissertation: Moral Dissonance and Growth in Moral Development: The Impact of Field Experiences in a School of Allied Health
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2019 Alaskar, A., D’Errico, E., Alipoon, L., Dehom, S. (2019). Institutional accreditation in Saudi Arabian higher education: perceptions and involvement. Quality in Higher Education, QHE 25(3).
- 2003 Alipoon, L., Lopez, D. (2003). Brain Based Learning Applications for Radiation Sciences. Radiologic Science and Education, 8, (1), 5-12.
Non-peer Reviewed Publications
- 2014 Edmunds, W., Alipoon, L. (2014, October/November). Radiography Goes Digital in Belize. ASRT Scanner, 47 (1), 20.
- 2014 Alipoon, L. (2014, May). Teaching Essentials, Keys to a Successful Course: Assessment. AEIRS Spectrum, 25 (2), 18-21.
- 2014 Alipoon, L. (2014, January). Teaching Essentials, Keys to a Successful Course: Teaching Methods and Learning Experiences. AEIRS Spectrum, 25 (1), 14-15.
- 2013 Alipoon, L. (2013, October). Teaching Essentials, Keys to a Successful Course: Learning Objectives. AEIRS Spectrum, 24 (2), 14-15.
- 2001 Lopez, D., Alipoon, L. (2001). Experience is the Network to the Mind: Brain-Based Learning Applications in Higher Education Journal of Adventist Education, 63, (2), 29-34.
Select Peer-Reviewed Presentations
- 2017 Alipoon, L., Davis, C. (2017, September 25). Integrating Emotional & Social Intelligence Competencies within the Health Care Environment. Paper presented at the 41st ASRT Radiation Therapy Conference, San Diego, CA.
- 2017 Alipoon, L., Davis, C, (2017, January 27). Integrating Emotional & Social Intelligence Competencies within Faculty & Student Development Initiatives. Paper presented at the 42nd ACERT conference, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 2016 Alipoon, L., Davis, C, Lavin Williams, K (2016, August 18). Integrating Emotional & Social Intelligence Competencies within Faculty & Student Development Initiatives. Paper presented at the School of Allied Health Professions retreat at Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
- 2015 Alipoon, L. (2015, Feb 19) Curricular Linking – Objectives, Methods, Assignments and Assessment. Workshop Presentation at Inaya Medical College, Riyadh Saudi Arabia.
- 2015 Alipoon, L. (2015, Feb 19) Best Practices in Teaching and Learning. Conference Workshop at Inaya Medical College, Riyadh Saudi Arabia.
- 2014 Alipoon, L. (2014, Feb 7). Perception is everything: communication in healthcare. Paper presented at the 39th ACERT conference, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- 2013 Alipoon, L. (2013, February 7). Seven Principles for Good Practice. Paper presented at the 38th ACERT conference, Las Vegas Nevada
Select Poster Presentations - Peer-Reviewed Posters
- 2019 Williams K, Alipoon L, Davis C, Marshak H. The effect of emotional intelligence education and individual coaching on pre and post EQi-2.0 assessment results. Poster session presented at: Coaching in Leadership and Healthcare. Annual Conference of the Institute of Coaching at Harvard. 2019 Oct 18-19; Boston MA
- 2019 Davis C, Williams K, Alipoon L, Marshak H. An Examination of the Impact of Emotional Intelligence (EI) and Well-being Construct Education and Coaching on Pre and Post MHS EQi-2.0 Assessment Results Among Undergraduate Allied Health Professional Students. Poster session presented at: Positive Psychology in Practice. 2nd Annual Conference. 2019 Oct 24-25; Utrecht, Netherlands.
- 2018 Cockrill, K., Edmunds, W. & Alipoon, L. (2018, Feb 21). Student- and Faculty-Reported Methods for Student Engagement
- 2014 Alipoon, L., Edmunds, W. (2014, March). Transformative Learning through Service. Poster session presented at the Faculty Showcase, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
- 2001 Alipoon, L. (2001, October). Growth in Moral Development: The Impact of Field Experiences in a School of Allied Health. Poster session presented at the Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, Norfolk, Virginia.
Program development and approval process completed for the following programs:
- 2019 Worked with Marie DeLange and Erin Marshall to add a cardiac concentration to the BS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. The first cohort is slated to start in autumn of 2020.
- 2017 Worked with Rob Cruise to bring the CVI program from a University Certificate to an emphasis in the BS in Radiation Sciences degree. The first cohort started in the fall of 2018. Worked with Marie DeLange to bring the Diagnostic Medical Sonography General/Vascular Certificate Program to a BS in Diagnostic Sonography. The first cohort started in the summer of 2018.
- 2015 Worked with Dr. Carol Davis and Dolly Kisinger to bring the Radiation Therapy Certificate Program to a BS in Radiation Therapy Technology. The first cohort started in the fall of 2016.
- 2013 Worked with Erma Ezpeleta to bring the Nuclear Medicine University Certificate Program to a BSNM. The first cohort started in the summer of 2014.
- 2012 Education Emphasis (22 quarter units) as an emphasis in the BS in Radiation Sciences
- 2011 Worked with Dr. David Lopez to start an AS degree and University Certificate in Cardiac Electrophysiology Technology. The distance education Certificate started in January of 2011. The programs moved to the Department of Cardiopulmonary Sciences in July of 2011 and back to the Department of Radiation Technology in the summer of 2017.
- 2009 Master’s in Radiologist Assistant Program: transitioned into a Master’s degree. Distance Education
- 2009 Bachelors in Healthcare Administration started with the SAHP. Distance Education
- 2008 Master’s in Radiation Sciences: Distance Education
- 2003 Radiologist Assistant Program: BS and BS Certificate Programs which started in 2003. Distance Education
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
- 2012 Radiologic Technology Advanced Placement (RTAP) to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- 2010 AS in Medical Radiography to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia