The Department of Orthotics and Prosthetics believes in training our graduates to be lifelong learners, as well as consumers and creators of knowledge. The Research Tract of courses spans 6 quarters, is evidence based, and takes the students on a journey from statistical methods; research topic design, IRB proposal, submission and approval; informed consent process; data collection and analysis; research synthesis; and culminates with a capstone program and presentation. Students are encouraged and supported to strive towards preparing for publication and presentation at national peer reviewed conferences.
In-Progress MSOP Capstone Projects
- Surveying Responses of Physicians, Prosthetists, and Transtibial Amputees on the Utilization of Immediate Postoperative Prosthesis (IPOP)
- Strength of Recycled polypropylene and its use in Orthotic and Prosthetic Care.
- Thermo-Chromic Silicone Liners for Intra-Socket Temperature Detection
- Evaluating the Effect of Transtibial Pin Lock Suspension at Varying Distraction Values using a Modified Air Bladder Casting System
Completed MSOP Capstone Projects: (include clickable links to view capstone posters)
- Measuring the variance in transtibial socket fit between sockets made by students, residents, and certified prosthetists using the aquacast technique
- A Qualitative and Quantitative Comparison of Hydrostatic vs. Vacuum Casting Methods in Trans-tibial Amputees
- The Effects of Variable Time Domain of Thermoforming Polypropylene
- Incidence and Etiology of Underserved Amputees in San Bernardino County: Situation Analysis and Investigation of How to Improve Quality of Care
- Does external sensing haptic feedback improve grasp performance for able-bodied volunteers using a hook terminal device?
- Reduction of shear forces using semi-flexible sockets on transtibial amputees
- Effects of Myofascial Release Massage on Pain Levels, Range of Motion, and Muscle Strength in Unilateral Lower Limb Amputees
- Qualitative and Quantitative comparison of transtibial sockets and designs: polymer socket and carbon fiber socket
- How do I document?” A Retrospective Analysis of Documentation for Prosthetic Devices and Subsequent Reimbursement
- Comparison of the Amputee Mobility Predictor, Patient Assessment Validation Evaluation Test, and Clinician Subjective Observational Method in Determining Medicare Functional Classification Level.
- Effects of K3 Feet on K2 Transtibial Ambulators
- Biofilm Growth in Prosthetic Interfacing Systems
- Medicare Denials
- Effectiveness of Allocating Proper Resources for the Delivery of a Transtibial Prosthesis to the First Time User
- Biocompatibility of PLA Plastic
- A Novel Approach of Using Gelatin for Shape Capture
- Testing Specialized Cycling Equipment in Rehabilitation for Patients with Lower Limb-Strength Discrepancies on Able-Bodied Subjects
- Fall Rates of K2 above knee amputees as compared to K3 above knee amputees
- The effect of anatomical versus traditional joint placement on articulated ankle foot orthoses and the consequences on parameters of gait
- Gait analysis of a single axis and polycentric prosthetic knee unit in able bodied and amputee subjects
- Effects of 3D printed cosmetic covers on quality of life in lower extremity amputees
- A Comparative Study of Functional Grasp and Efficiency Between Trans-radial 3D printed vs. Myoelectric Prosthesis
- Using Able-Bodied Subjects: A Pilot Study
Currently In-Progress PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences (with O&P Concentration) Research Topics
- The Design, Prototype, and Testing of a Powered Robotic Prosthetic Leg