The mission of the Department of Cardiopulmonary Sciences (CPS) is to promote interdisciplinary, collaborative research among health care practitioners, biomedical scientists and community activists to discover and disseminate knowledge and tools to improve our understanding of: cardiopulmonary diseases, public health, clinical performance, Big Data management, and evolving educational and leadership approaches.
Click here to see a detailed list of our faculty research interest and publications.
Below is the most recent list of funding our faculty received!!
Recent Grants our faculty received:
- Project Encompass, an interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approach to wound care at Loma Linda University: ($250,000); 2017-2018
- This is an interdisciplinary grant where three of our faculty are part of. Our department (EMC Program) will receive approximately $62,500.
- Faculty involved: Abdullah Alismail, Brendan Gongol, Laren Tan, and Traci Marin.
- The use of Augmented Reality Glass in Central Lines and Intubation:
- This is an interdisciplinary project between our department, Loma Linda University Medical Center, La Sierra University.
- Faculty involved: Abdullah Alismail, Laren Tan, Michael Terry.
Faculty Research Interest & Publications
Click on the faculty to see a preview of their research interest and publication.
- Research Interest: Higher Education, Neurocognitive Science, and Inflammatory process.
- Publication (Google Scholar): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=A8aNGjIAAAAJ&hl=en
- Email: email@example.com
- Research Interest: Mr. Alismail research of interests are: Medical Education and Innovation, Cardiopulmonary Science.
- Publications (Google Scholar): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=an5pMBoAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=sra
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Interest: Mr. Alipoon conducted and participated in different research studies from clinical, pharmaceutical to educational studies. His current research interest are:
- Clinical Research
- Educational research
- A Comparison of Omeprazole Sodium Bicarbonate - Immediate Release Powder for Suspension to Intravenous Cimetidine for the Prevention of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Critically Ill Patients. Santarus OSB-IR-C03. Primary Investigator: T. Lo. Study Coordinator: Alan Alipoon. Beginning Date: January 2000, End Date: August 2003
- Stanley M. Baldwin, Alan Alipoon, Bud Spearman. A BENCH STUDY TO EVALUATE DRAGER APRV WITH AUTO RELEASE UNDER VARYING COMPLIANCE AND RESISTANCE. AARC 2011
- COMPARISON OF HAND VENTILATORS IN DELIVERING NITRIC OXIDE, Presented at the 53rd International Respiratory Congress, December 1- 4, 2007, Orlando Florida
- RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER: CODE BLUE PROCESS COORDINATOR IN AN ACADEMIC UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, Presented at the 52nd International Respiratory Congress, December 11 – 14, 2007, Las Vegas Nevada
- COMPARISON AND EVALUATION OF RESPIRATORY CARE STAFF COMPETENCY FOLLOWING PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT CHANGES, Presented at the 52nd International Respiratory Congress, December 11 – 14, 2006, Las Vegas Nevada
- A PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM TO FACILITATE PRECEPTOR EVALUATION, Presented at the 52nd International Respiratory Congress, December 11 – 14, 2006, Las Vegas Nevada
- Research Interest:
- Health Care providers & tobacco control in developing nations.
- Lung ultrasound as the 2nd stethoscope of the respiratory care practitioner.
- External assessment for quality evaluation of international respiratory care programs.
- International development
- Abstracts & Presentations:
- Nelson, RD, Gavrielov N. (2010) Cotinine Testing for Tobacco Abuse – Initial Riyadh Experience. Respiratory Care, Vol 55 No 11 Page 1584.
- Nelson, RD. Point of Care Lung Ultrasound. Presentation given on 22 April 2014 at the Saudi Critical Care Society 2015 Conference.
- Nelson, RD, Al‐Hubaishi, F, Nelson, A. (2010). NBRC Secure Self Assessment Tests – Saudi Arabia Experience. Respiratory Care, Vol 55, No 11, page 1539
- Nelson, RD. Respiratory Care Boards: Essential for Patient Safety and Career Distinction. Presentation given on 4 May 2014 at the 1st Respiratory Therapy Scientific Day, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh.
- Nelson, Richard D. National Board for Respiratory Care – SAEs and Credentialing. Presentation given on 13 April 2010 at the 6th Annual Respiratory Care Symposium, King Faisal Specialist Hospital, Jeddah.
- Nelson, Richard D (2006). Broadmindedness, Tolerance, Freedom of Thinking ‐‐ as Foundation of World's Culture. Almaty: Kazakhstan Association for Freedom. pp. 70‐76. ISBN 9965‐9842‐2‐0
- Nelson, Richard D (2002). Current Issues in Natural Methods of Public Health Care, International
- Scientific‐Practical Conference. Almaty: Ministry of Health, Kazakhstan. pp. 29‐30. ISBN 9965‐15‐078‐8.
- >25 International Presentations in >20 countries including China, Taiwan, Russia, India, Nepal, Italy, Hungary, former Yugoslavia (Belgrade), Romania, Moldova, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, USA, Canada, Bermuda, Virgin Islands, Jamaica, Philippines, Malaysia, Tanzania, Ghana & Saudi Arabia.