Welcome to the Clinical education resources page for Cardiopulmonary Sciences. This page is dedicated for students, clinical sites ,and their preceptors to access the clinical education resources for our programs such as (clinical syllabus, evaluation methods, inter-rater reliability, and preceptor education tools).
Our Clinical Education Model
Click Here to download a copy of the clinical syllabus
- Our competency system is now designed electronically and performed by both the clinical preceptor and clinical faculty.
- Clinical Faculty monitors the data and they also perform another competency check at the end of the quarter once they see a student is ready for their check off electronically. A paper copy of the electronic version can be access here: Click Here
Inter-Rater Reliability (IRR)
- In CPS, we do our best to make sure that there is a consistency in students evaluations by their preceptors. Especially when students are rotating at different clinical sites with different preceptors.
- To know more about Inter-Rater Reliability (IRR), please check the following link:
- To access the mandatory training test on how to evaluate the student consistently, click on the following link (Click Here)
- IRR also applies to clinical faculty as they evaluate students
- Students are evaluated using a developed rubric to assess and evaluate (cognitive, psychomotor, and affective domain). See last pages of the clinical syllabus.
- Each clinical instructor evaluate each student independently on their performance every 5 weeks.
- When inconsistency occurs, discussion is established in the quarterly clinical instructor meeting before a grade is submitted.
Links used in clinics:
- Clinical Competencies:
- Aerosol Drug Administration
- O2 Therapy
- Continuous Nebulization
- High Flow O2 Humidification Therapy
- Suctioning NTS
- Suctioning Artificial Airway Adults
- Suctioning Neo/Peds
- 12 leads
- Mech Vent Set up
- Mech Vent Mode Change
- Vent Management
- Rapid Response
- Spont Mechanics
- Time Stamp
- Daily Evaluation Link
- Evaluate your preceptor at the end of the shift
- Calling off clinics
Meet Our Faculty
Abdullah Alismail PhD, RRT-NPS, RRT-SDS, FCCP
Assistant Professor-Director of Clinical Education
vProfessor Alismail is a graduate of the LLU program class of 2010. He has various years of experience as a Respiratory Therapist with an interest in clinical education and research. He also holds a MS in health professions education and MA in education. He completed his Doctorates in education from Claremont Graduate University. He is also an Assistant Professor at the Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University. Professor Alismail published several peer review papers in the fields of respiratory care, pulmonary, and medical education. He is an associate editor in BMC Pulmonary Medicine Journal. On his free time, he enjoys traveling, various sports, and reading with emphasis in history of civilizations, Arabic literature, religions, and cultural studies. email: email@example.com 909-558-1000 ext 47119Read more
Meet Our Faculty
Emily J Berry, MBA, RCP, RRT
Emily has 10 years of Clinical experience in neonatal, pediatric and adult critical care, practicing in both Indiana and California. In addition, Emily’s experience includes taking part in establishing an asthma education program in the ER to reduce frequent re-admissions for asthmatics. As well as providing staff training and education to nurses. Emily holds a Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy from the Indiana University School of Medicine. She just received her MBA in Healthcare Management in January 2020.Read More