Do I have to be a Seventh-day Adventist to get into the program?

Although Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) institution, we welcome students of all faiths.

What is the annual tuition for your program?

See Expected Cost of Attendance for the latest tuition costs.

Do you provide financial aid or scholarships?

The financial aid office is able to fund many Loma Linda University students through grants, scholarships, or loans. Independent of the LLU financial aid office, the CLS program itself has a limited number of scholarships available. These are distributed during the program and are awarded based on academic or clinical performance, dedication to the profession, and/or financial need.

Will I be able to work while I'm enrolled in the program?

The CLS program is a full time schedule with classes or clinical training scheduled all day, Monday through Friday. Full-time employment is not advisable and usually not possible. Some students work part-time during the program, but usually less than 10 hours/week.

Can I enter your program right after high school as a college freshman?

No, students enter the CLS program at the junior-year college level and transfer in from community colleges or other colleges or universities.

How long does it usually take to complete all the prerequisites?

It takes a minimum of two years at another college to complete all prerequisites.

Do I have to complete all the prerequisites before I apply?

No, you do not need to have all your prerequisites completed before you apply, but they must be completed before you start the program. When you apply, you must complete the section on the application called "Future Coursework" so that the admissions committee knows when you plan to complete the prerequisites.

What is the average incoming GPA of your clinical lab science students?

The average incoming GPA is greater than 3.00. We recommend a minimum science GPA of 3.25 to be competitive (minimum 2.75 required). If you are not sure if you qualify, ask to speak with an advisor at (909) 558-4966.

When can I submit my application?

Applications are accepted online between March 1 and May 15; early submission is recommended. 

Is there an interview to get into the program?

There is no interview but we do require three letters of recommendation, and we prefer that at least two of them come from college professors.

When does the program begin?

The program begins the third week of August. 

Can I enter the program mid-year, for example in the winter or spring quarters?

If you miss the August entry date, you will have to wait until the following August to join the program.

If I have a bachelor's degree, may I take non-degree courses to get my CLS Trainee license?

No, we do not offer non-degree courses.

I already have a bachelor's degree, and/or CLS Trainee license. Can I enroll for just the clinical training portion of your program?

No, we do not accept students for the clinical training portion only. Even though you already have a BS or BA, if you join our program, you would still enter at the junior-year level and would receive a second bachelor's degree at the end of the senior year.

How soon can I get job as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist after I graduate?

Graduates are immediately eligible to take the Board Certification Exam, and then apply to the state for licensure. Most graduates find employment within weeks of beginning the job search.

What is the average starting salary for a CLS?

Starting salary may vary by area, but the average salary for a CLS in California working in a hospital with 0-1 year of experience is approximately $84,000 per year (according to

I have a degree from another country; can I get credit for any of those classes?

International students must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved evaluation service. Refer to our International Academic Transcripts information for approved evaluation services.

I am a certified medical technologist in a country outside the United States. Can I get credit for the clinical training or work experience from my home country?

Contact the California Department of Public Heath directly for information:

California Department of Health Services
Laboratory Field Services
850 Marina Bay Parkway
Richmond CA 94804-6403
(510) 873-6327