What is the average incoming GPA of your clinical lab science students?
The average incoming GPA is greater than 3.00. We recommend a minimum incoming science GPA of 3.25. If you are not sure if you qualify, ask to speak with an advisor at (909) 558-4966.

When should I apply?
Applications are accepted beginning January 1.  Early submission of application is recommended. 

Do I have to be a Seventh-day Adventist to get into the program?
Although Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) institution, we welcome students of all faiths.

I am graduating from high school in June, should I apply January 1 for early acceptance?
No, you should wait to apply until you are close to completing prerequisite courses. It usually takes about two years to complete prerequisite coursework at another college before you can enter our program. We do not have an early acceptance program.

Can I enter your program right after high school as a college freshman?
No, students enter the CLS program at the junior-year college level and transfer in from community colleges or other colleges or universities.

Do I have to complete all the prerequisites before I apply?
No, you do not need to have all your prerequisites completed before you apply. Simply complete the section on the application called "Projected Study Plan" so that the admissions committee knows when you plan to complete the prerequisites. Some of our applicants take prerequisite courses during the summer session immediately before the program begins in August; however, these courses must be completed prior to the start date of the CLS program.

How long does it usually take to complete all the prerequisites?
It usually takes a minimum of two years at another college to complete all prerequisites.

When does the program begin?
The program begins the third week of August. 

Can I enter the program mid-year, for example in the winter or spring quarters?
Students are only allowed to enter the program at the beginning of the academic year, which begins the third week of August. If you miss the August entry date, you will have to wait until the following August to join the program.

What is the annual tuition for your program?
See program information for the latest tuition costs.

Do you provide financial aid or scholarships?
The financial aid office, is able to fully fund many Loma Linda University students through grants, loans, or scholarships. Independent of the LLU financial aid office, the CLS program itself has a limited number of scholarships available. These are distributed during the program and are awarded on the basis of academic or clinical performance, dedication to the profession, and/or financial need.

I already have a Bachelor's degree, can I enroll for just the clinical training portion of your program?
No, we do not accept students for the clinical training portion only. Even though you already have a BS or BA, if you join our program, you would still enter at the junior-year level and would receive a second bachelor's degree at the end of the senior year.  

If I have a Bachelor's degree and want to take non-degree courses, will this qualify me to take the national certification exam and qualify me to work as a Clinical Lab Scientist in California?  No, in order to work in California you must have a trainee license and train in an approved laboratory before being licensed in the state of California.

Do you offer a certificate in Clinical Laboratory Science?
No, only a Bachelor's degree is offered. 

I am currently qualified to receive a California state CLS trainee license. Can I apply to your program?
Yes, you may apply, but you would still be required to take the full two-year sequence, which includes one year of clinical training.

How soon can I get job as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist after I graduate?
Graduates are immediately eligible to apply to the state for licensure and take the Board Certification Exam. After passing the exam, graduates are eligible for employment. LLU CLS employment rates have historically been close to 100 percent. The majority of graduates receive job offers within a few weeks after they begin seeking employment.

What is the average starting salary for a CLS?
The average starting salary for a CLS in California is $65,000 per year, or about $34/hour.

Will I be able to work while I'm enrolled in the program?
The CLS program is a full time schedule with classes or clinical training scheduled all day, Monday through Friday. Full-time employment is not advisable and usually not possible. Some students work part-time during the program, but usually less than 10 hours/week.

How many of your graduates go on into medical or dental school?
On average, less than 10 percent of Loma Linda University CLS graduates go on to medicine, dentistry, physician's assistant, and pharmacy.

I was formerly a medical technologist in a country other than the United States. Can I get credit for the clinical training or work experience that I had in that country?
This can only be determined by the State of California--contact them directly for information:

California Department of Health Services
Laboratory Field Services
850 Marina Bay Parkway
Richmond CA 94804-6403

I have a degree from another country; can I get credit for any of those classes?
International students must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved evaluation service.  Refer to our International student Information for approved services we accept from.

Student Advising

An advisor can look at this evaluation and let you know what courses you may still need. If you have a science degree, you may  be lacking some of the prerequisite coursework in the humanities and social sciences.
See a list of prerequisites.

If you plan on attending a local community college or university, visit the Transfer Patterns page, select the school you plan on attending and check the transfer courses at that school. It usually takes a minimum of 2 years at another college to complete these prerequisites.

If the State of California determines that your foreign bachelor's degree is acceptable, and you join our program, you would still enter at the junior-year level, and would receive a second bachelor's degree at the end of the senior year.